It can be overwhelming picking out a new, or even your first, business solution system. After all, this software can help you maintain your financials, customers and even your own internal resources. Picking out this solution is no easy task – and certainly not one to take lightly.
So where do you even begin?
It all begins when you realize your current system isn’t working (if you already have one), or when you realize some form of business software might help you better run your business (think better data, more efficiencies, etc) if you don’t already have one in place.
You then need to be a psychic and look to the future to see where your business will go and what software will get you there. Okay, not really, but you do need to think about your business needs looking forward. You will want to think about what growth you hope to see for your company, and what you will need from your software to get you there.
Once you understand what exactly you want from your solution, you can start evaluating different options. Of course, there are many options available, but have no fear – a consultant can help you find the right fit for your business (let us know if you need help).
To help you get started (because we’re nice like that), here are five tips for successful solution selection.
- Be sure to involve leaders from each division of your company in the process. These people are often the most impacted by the outcomes of your decision, so you want to make sure they have a say. By involving them, you can likely discover specific needs and desires that may have otherwise gone unnoticed. By including a broad range of leaders from your business, you can help ensure you’re choosing a solution that everyone can benefit from.
- Identify all the wants and needs for your new business tool, and then take the time to determine which are the most important to the success of your business. In a perfect world, there would be one solution that would cover absolutely everything on your list. However, reality disagrees. By creating a list, you know where you can compromise on some aspects and still get the best solution for your business.
- Ask around to find out what other business colleagues are using in their businesses. This can help you get valuable reviews on which products seem to be doing better than others, and can help you determine which ones will be a better fit in your industry. Learning from others can help you implement a trustworthy solution.
- After you’ve shopped around based on your wants and needs, consider contacting companies to set up product demonstrations. Seeing the tool in action gives you a real-time view of how this product would work within your business. When requesting demos, don’t be afraid to let the company know some specifics of what you want to see. After all, this is the success of your business we’re talking about, and you want the best solution possible.
- During these demos, make note of how the system performs on components that are important to your business’s success. After experiencing all the demos, you can go over your notes and see which systems performed well on these parameters, and which systems flopped.
Choosing a solution for your business can be a daunting task, especially with all the options available on the market. By following these five tips and reaching out to a consultant, you can comfortably make a decision on the best solution to fit your business.
A version of this blog first appeared on Eide Bailly’s technology consulting blog.