Guest Blog By: Matt Gruchalla and Shelly Kegley of Bell Bank
In today’s banking environment, securing a small business loan takes more organization than one may anticipate. There also seems to be a correlation between how organized a borrower is, and success in getting approved for a small business loan.
Financing for a New Business
It is important to plan well in advance for starting a business so the business owners are financially well positioned for success. This gives the bank an idea of the owner’s capacity to support the business if additional cash injections are needed at any point. Some items to consider prior to starting a business include:
- Personal credit – The owner’s credit report should be free of anything derogatory, and reflect that all accounts have been paid as agreed. Revolving debt and credit card balances should be minimal. Assuming the owner’s personal accounts have been handled as agreed, personal credit scores should be acceptable.
- Personal income tax returns – Typically, lenders require three years of personal income tax returns, as well as income tax returns for any business ventures the owners have been involved with.
- Personal financial statement – This is a detail of the owner’s assets and liabilities. Potential lenders will look closely at owner’s cash, liquid investment balances and equity in homes or other real estate, as these can be sources for initial or ongoing business capitalization.
- Outside investors or loan guarantors – If a business owner feels they may not be financially positioned to start a business, a good option may be to consider outside investors or loan guarantors.
- Business plan – A great business plan includes a market analysis that’s backed by real data. The business plan should explain why there’s a need for the product or service that the potential business will sell, as well as what differentiates them from their competitors. The business plan should include a summary of the background and experience of the owners and key employees. Obstacles and success barriers should be discussed and mitigated.
- A business plan shouldn’t be lengthy or redundant. Keep it clear and concise! SCORE and the Small Business Development Center are two outstanding resources available in the FM area to contact if you need assistance with completing your business plan.
- Projections are a key component of a business plan, and shouldn’t be overly optimistic. The assumptions used to formulate the projections need to be explained so the lender understands how they were determined. The projections should include a “day one” balance sheet, along with year-end balance sheets for the first three years. Income statement projections should include monthly projections for the first year and annual projections for the next two years.
- Sources and uses summary – This gives the lender an idea of what the loan funds will be used for, and will detail the equity that will be contributed by the owners. There isn’t a hard and fast rule for the amount of equity needed but typically 20% to 25% is normal.
Financing for an Existing Business
Securing financing for an existing business is normally an easier process because a lender can rely on a proven history rather than on projections. A projection may be needed if the financing request materially changes the business operations; however, these projections may be easier to complete since the business owner will have a better understanding of their business and industry.
From the business a lender will require:
- Three years of business financial statements
- Most current year to date financial statements
- Three years of business income tax returns
From the business owners a lender will require:
- Three years of personal income tax returns
- A current personal financial statement
Obtaining a small business loan may seem daunting, but an organized, financially healthy borrower will have a much easier time securing a small business loan. Taking the time to prepare a well thought out business plan, and becoming financially healthy, will make the financing process go more smoothly.